Monday, February 20, 2012

Tarzan Loves Jane (J.R.R. Tolkien style)

My Dearest Jane,
I felt when I first met you some that though our lives are hopelessly separated by distance, language, custom, and habits of personal hygiene, I instantly felt a sort of connection to you, as though we could be the same species.  Then a feeling of love came over me of such extraordinary energy and passion that I knew I must attempt to convey these feelings in a letter to you.  There was much excitement in my village when I told my hominoidean friends of this task and everyone has urged me to continue in my quest. Unfortunately, I have not yet acquired a sufficient English vocabulary--beyond gruntingly repeating everything I hear--that would facilitate the writing of such a letter.  Luckily I have recently met a kind, elderly gentleman who possesses an extraordinary facility with the English language who has agreed to translate my feelings to you in such a way as would impress and delight you.  Please read the following poem I have written for you and know that the words are not adequate to express the feelings of love that I have for you.

Yours Forever,
Tarzan

No happiness I fear is found
Among these trees of green
Twixt flowing brook and twink'ling stars
I can't but shudder at the scene

I find no joy in climbing trees
The sun, it brings no light
I walk upon the mossy ground
And start to cry out at the sight

The world is gray, no birds sing out
And happiness is vain
For I have found I miss you so,
My love, my joy, my Jane

4 comments:

  1. Love the addition of a poem :) anyone who knows Tolkien's style knows that he loves to include poetry and music in his writing. Well done!

    This part is great: I felt when I first met you some that though our lives are hopelessly separated by distance, language, custom, and habits of personal hygiene, I instantly felt a sort of connection to you, as though we could be the same species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! And a poem even (does J.R. Tolkien do poetry)? I was amazed that Tarzan could write such incredible English, until you said an old Englishman was helping him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great! I loved the part about the hominoidean friends. I've only read The Hobbit, but it sounded Tolkienish to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sir William :) I like the twist so that Tarzan could communicate his feelings. Fabulous Job! I loved the poem.

    ReplyDelete